Did you know that this week is National Engineers Week? We’re sharing this super fun activity your kiddos can complete at home as they build like engineers!
You’ll need: thick colored construction paper, tape, an Exacto knife and tape
- Start by scoring your paper vertically at the 1 inch and 2 inch marks by making a light line in the paper with your Exacto knife. At the 3 inch mark, trim the paper completely.
- Repeat the scoring and trimming process which each piece of colored paper.
- Trim each piece of scored paper crosswise into 1 inch strips.
- Next, cut some paper that is not scored into 1 inch wide strips, and they can be 3-6 inches long.
- Fold the 1 inch strips into thirds on the scored lines.
- Tape the open edges together to make a triangle.
- Repeat this folding and cutting process to make several building blocks and then begin building!
- For the building, you can put the triangles in a row, alternating them between right side up and upside down. Add a plank on top of each row. After a few layers are built, test how strong your building blocks are by adding materials to see if the blocks can hold it!
Thanks to National Grid for sponsoring this activity!
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.