The Museum is a magical place with a long history of FUN stuff! We’ve been open almost 20 years! So we’ve read everyone else’s 25 facts, we thought we would share our fun facts with YOU!
2. The C.M.E. is a non-profit organization run by a small army of volunteers and a small, dedicated and underpaid professional staff! (People who love kids and families!)
3. The first major project in the Museum’s history was replacing the whole Main Exhibit Hall floor! We tried scrubbing out the oil stains from the fire engines, but the boards were soaked through and had to be destroyed!
4. Our elephant, a long standing resident in the “Wild Place” is named “Rising”. He is a young male african elephant who was created by a young art student from the College of William and Mary.
5. Executive Director Paula is one of the four original founders!
6. When the Museum was still a fire station, adorable dalmatian puppies were born in the basement!
14. Years ago, one artist was so dedicated to the Museum she used to sleep in the attic and work on projects!
15. 24 golf balls can be found racing down the Golfball Raceways at any time!
17. The Museum is capped by a still functioning (but closed to the public) Fire Tower
18. The “Enchanted Forest” is where the area Civil Defense Dept. used to have their local office.
19. There are 68 stair steps in the Museum
20. We do not kill the insects in our FETCH! Lab Bug Viewer or our “Wild Place” insectarium!
21. Our brass firepole is the ORIGINAL, many lives have been saved after courageous men slid down it!
25. Originally, only two floors of the Museum were open to the public.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.