Make a little music as you construct a harmonica! With this activity, you can even adjust the pitch as you play your new instrument.
You’ll need: two jumbo craft sticks, a wide rubber band, 2 small rubber bands, a straw and scissors
- Cut two pieces of straw that are 1 to 1 and 1/2 inches long.
- Stretch the thick rubber band around one of the sticks. Put one of the straws under the rubber band towards one end of the stick.
- Place the other stick on top and attach it with one of the small rubber bands on the same end with the straw.
- Put the other piece of straw at the other end of the harmonica, but this time place it on top of the wide rubber band. Secure the end with the second small rubber band.
- Play the harmonica by blowing between the sticks as you hold the harmonica horizontally. The wide rubber band vibrates causing it to make a sound!
- Change the pitch of your harmonica by sliding the straw pieces closer together or farther apart. When the pieces are closer together, the pitch is higher because the section of rubber band that is vibrating is shorter. Slide the straws farther apart, and the noise will be lower.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.